The reason we feel sleepy after our noon meal and how to avoid it if in office.
There are various elements that during digestion, the process by which the body demolishes the nutrients contained in food by turning them into usable fuel, contribute to creating drowsiness.
Among these is the level of insulin. This hormone produced by the pancreas (and to a greater extent after eating very sugary foods) facilitates the entry of the nutrients into the cells except for the amino acid tryptophan. The increase in the concentration of this amino acid facilitates its passage into the brain where it stimulates the production of serotonin and melanin, two neurotransmitters that have a relaxing effect and help regulate sleep. For this reason, eating foods that contain a lot of carbohydrates, like pasta, bread, rice, and potatoes or even different high-protein foods, such as meats, dairy products, and eggs, we could feel more sleepy than usual.
The higher the amount of insulin produced, the higher the production of serotonin and melanin by the brain. So you will inevitably face the feeling of mourning. As a rule, this drowsiness does not take more than an hour after you finish your lunch.
Now let's find out how to stretch the laziness that comes after the meal!
2. To not eat much at noon, choose foods high in protein at breakfast.
3. Hydration is important. Did you overdo lunch because you were too hungry? Careful! many people mistake the feeling of hunger and thirst, which means that you might think you are hungry when in fact you are just thirsty. Consume a large glass of water when this sensation occurs.
4. If you have time, it is preferable to take a short walk after lunch.
5. Do not consume carbohydrates with protein, for e.g. meat-paste, meat-potatoes, meat-bread, because it is one of the combinations that will instantly send you to sleep. Thus, meat must be combined with starch-free vegetables, and carbohydrates with fruits, cereals, etc.
6. Plan the coffee break. A small coffee break helps us restore our energy, but coffee should be consumed with moderation. A cup of coffee is fine because it causes adrenaline production and improves mood.
7. Do not give up lunch.
Just because you're tired after the meal does not mean you should stop eating. Try to eat smaller portions so you will never be too full.
Many foods are rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that can induce sleepiness. Tryptophane foods include cheese, chicken and turkey meat, fish, eggs, milk, nuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, soybeans.
Digestion consumes much of the body's energy, so a meal that is prepared with foods that are easy to digest, and not in a very large amount, can help lower the mood of feeling asleep after eating.
8. Eat foods with a low glycemic index. Low glycemic foods are slowly metabolized and therefore give more satiety and energy.
However, if you feel regularly tired that you can not continue your daily activities, you should consult a doctor.