how to take the right steps incase of a snake bite
It is the nightmare of every hiker: The beautiful days begin, and it is increasingly difficult to resist the desire to do trekking in the mountains. You feel in perfect harmony with nature, when a snake emerges from nowhere and attacks you.
In this situation you need to know immediately how to properly treat the bite.
Of the hundreds of species of snakes existing all over the world, only a few are poisonous.
Still in this situation if a person follows the right steps, even a venomous snake bite can be cured.
So, what to do in case of a snake bite?
1. Well, the first thing you should do is to stay calm, the agitation increases the spread of the poison in the body.
2. Remove clothes, rings, watches, bracelets, etc.
3. Immobilise the affected limb with a splint, a wood or something similar.
4. Apply an elastic bandage to the limb.
5. The area of the wound must not be touched in any way.
7. Go to a doctor. It is essential to receive medical attention as soon as possible.
You do not necessarily need to be able to determine if the bite comes from a poisonous species simply by looking at the marks on the skin. The important thing is to get medical assistance immediately, regardless of which bite it may be.
If possible, make a drawing of the snake, or at least try to have a fellow hiker who mentally has the image of the snake to describe it to the doctors.
- This is useful to make the work of rescuers and doctors much easier and faster, so they will know which antidote to inject.
￼The good news is that once the wound is cleaned and any jewel and constricting element has been removed, if the area is not swollen or limited, then in all probability the snake was not poisonous. However, even in this case, there is a risk of infection, so you should still have a doctor visit you as soon as possible.
Despite the old beliefs and what we see in movies it is important that you:
- do not shake.
- do not cut, suck, squeeze, burn the vice part from the snake.
- do not apply a tourniquet.
- do not drink alcohol.
Normally snakes are shy and they do not attack except for defense, so they tend to move away if they are disturbed.
So it is a good idea, when walking in the mountains, to make noise so as to free the nearby surroundings from snakes.
Remember that snakes do not have ears, so you should not try making them aware of your presense with your voice. Instead hit your your feet on the ground which can then transmit its vibrations onto them.