Here is a Scientific Reason & Simple Steps to Avoid it!
Normally, when food enters the body, the amount of glucose in the blood increases, which raises blood sugar levels. When the blood sugar level rises, the pancreas secretes a hormone called insulin, whose job is to lower blood sugar level, which usually returns to the original value in about 2 hours.
However, if you have a habit of overeating, your blood sugar level will rise all at once and you will need a large amount of insulin. If insulin secretion cannot keep up at this time, hyperglycemia will occur. If this condition continues, glucose will not be fully distributed to the brain, leading to vagueness and drowsiness. Also, excessive insulin secretion puts a strain on the pancreas and is considered a precursor to diabetes.
Sugar is an important energy source that moves the brain and body, but how to eat is important. Incorrect intake or balance can cause damage to your body.
So, let's have a look at smart ways to eat that can help prevent lifestyle-related diseases without making you sleepy.
- the very first and basic key to eating without getting sleepy is controlling blood sugar levels
- eat with protein and dietary fiber
- when having a meal, start with vegetables that are rich in dietary fiber
- if you are hungry for a long time, have a drink containing protein such as soy milk to prevent sudden increases in blood sugar when you eat your meal
- digesting a big meal requires a lot of effort, so it causes a greater sense of numbness - instead of eating a lot for lunch, eat numerous small meals throughout the day
- a short walk in the fresh air can work wonders after lunch, fresh air and movement brings a lot of oxygen to the brain
- performing light physical activity after meals keeps blood flow moving and prevents the feeling of exhaustion
- take a small nap for about 10-20 minutes which is the right length of afternoon rest which can make you feel fresh - if you sleep for much longer, you may risk feeling much more tired than before
Also, if the sleepiness after lunch seems excessive, consider going to your doctor for a check-up.